Friday, August 22, 2008

Happiness Poll

But first, here's the result of the controversy-causing Sauce Poll.


While I respect other people's dating choices, I personally would never go out with a civilian. I mean, when you tell them over dinner how "the Client is trying to ruin their own ad by insisting on putting more and more information into it", they wouldn't give a shit.

I also had a bad experience going out with another Creative once. It just got a bit... competitive.

So my healthy dating recommend would be for someone in a 'related but different' field like Planning, Account Handling or TV. When you have a bad day, they can empathise. And they will never write a better ad than you, because they don't write any.

This week's Poll is about happiness.

Obviously you're delighted with your career choice. But how happy are you with your employer? Is going to work like a daily stint in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory? Or a salt mine south-east of Yakutsk?

Vote now, in the right hand column of this blog.

Previous poll results:
What's Better - Small Agency Or Big Agency?
Is It The Client Or The Agency Who Makes The Work Good?
Why Is Fallon's Print Not As Good As Their TV?
Is Dave Trott's Thinking Still Relevant?
Which Brand Would You Most LikeTo Work On?
What Do Scamp Readers Do For A Living?
What Time Do You Leave Work?
Does Juan Earn One Million Pounds A Year?
How Much Do You Earn?
What Do You Think Of Our Trade Rag?
Should A Creative Look Creative?
Ad Of The Year 2007
Do Difficult People Do The Best Work?
Who Is Responsible For Ineffectiveness?
Your Personal Success Record
Which Department Is The Most Insane?
What Music Do You Listen To While Working?
What Time Do You Get In?
Who Drinks The Most?
Press v Online
Success Or Glory?
Is Reading Blogs A Waste Of Time?
What's Your Job Satisfaction Level?
What's The Best Kind Of Festive Greeting?
Ad Of The Year 2006
What's Your Favourite Medium To Work In?
Agency Of The Year 2006
Which Department Is The Most Overpaid?

17 comments:

bk said...

Ah, happiness...

Bertrand Russell suggests that if you really want to be happy with the way things are, imagine having everything you own taken away from you, then given back.

Unless you're one of Josef Fritzl's kids, of course.

Anonymous said...

Ah, happiness...

Ken Dodd suggests it was the greatest thing that he possessed.

Spillikin o'Coat said...

Hapiness is overrated.

spillikin o'coat the 2nd said...

As is happiness.

Anonymous said...

As is a penis.

Anonymous said...

yes but only ever by the bearer and rarely recipient

Anonymous said...

funny thing about our line of work is that we tend to be so passionate about it that when we're stuck at the wrong agency (or no agency at all) and not producing the kind of work we'd like to, it has a dramatic impact on our general happiness. (juniors, you'll understand once you have held a few jobs and then go into a bad year.)

I love what I do and I couldn't imagine doing anything else but I'm stuck and right now that's a massive drag. there doesn't seem to be a choice though, considering that nobody really seems to be hiring.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I work at fallon and i fucking hate it.

Just joking.

No, seriously I hate it.

Anonymous said...

They just switched my accounts. One of them is heavily stigmatized for something a previous creative did and now I have to go in and clean the sh*t squeaky. The other one is a new beer account, they forewarned me about the client and the difficulty managing a client with several brands cannibalizing off each other.

I'm static, I've been working the savings account for the most conservative bank ever. They don't know bad... I thrive in this. it's almost masochistic. I guess there must be something to happiness there, cause it sure as hell isn't the paycheck i get every month.

Dave Trott said...

I really like what bk said at the beginning.
Before we got a job in advertising, I guess we all had jobs in factories, or shops, or banks, or something that you really wouldn't want to spend your life doing.
What I say is, the worst day in this is better than the best day in that.

Anonymous said...

I used to be a lawyer before I became a copywriter. I earned a lot of money and I hated every minute of it. Now I earn comparatively very little and i'm happier than i've ever been.

Fun beats money every time.

Anonymous said...

The secret to happiness is to admire and not desire. Which doesn't really work in the advertising industry.

Holly said...

As a copywriter dating a Planner (though neither of us were what we are now when we met), I agree wholeheartedly.

My planner understands my frustrations and knows what I mean when I use agency lingo, but he doesn't have a better book than me because he doesn't have a book.

He also gives me useful snippets from the plannersphere, and sometimes tosses out thoughts that help with my work.

It's like a mini agency at my house.

bk said...

For what it's worth, I hear BMB basically closes at 5.30 every day. Is this true? Can anyone at BMB confirm it?

Anonymous said...

from what i've heard they only hire hot well endowed girls.

Anonymous said...

civilians, no doubt.
lots of reasons:

1. advertising is not everything. shouldn't be.

2. I don't wanna spend whole life talking about shitty clients and useless co-workers.

3. with civilians I let my steam out and it's over. with advertising people it keeps popping out, not solving anything.

4. civilians are the best judge of your concepts or ideas. simple 'like it - don't like it' is enough. after all that's what you get from TA.

5. they are less stressed than advertisers so sex is more frequent and much better ;-)