Monday, July 02, 2007

Lasers Or Cats?

The new Sony Blu-Ray ad is rather impressive. I love muscle-cars, I love riot police, and I love blue lasers. So I like the ad. Who wouldn't? via Nitmesh.


But it's a bit on the serious side. Portentous even. So I only like it, I don't love it.

I do, however, love the current crop of YouTube films featuring talking cats.





via Incredible Flying Car.

Awful, isn't it? You spend £1 million making an astounding visual extravaganza, and some bloke in his bedroom makes something much more engaging putting subtitles on a cat.

Welcome to Web 2.0...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got to say it. Sony = Pony. Blu Ray and the poodle ad are both hugely disappointing. What's wrong with UK advertising these days? Honda and now Sony, our 2 world beaters, are off the boil and there's nothing to take up the mantle. As for talking animals I say - Bring back Esther Rantzen and That's Life. "Sausages"

david said...

i love this post. tolerance and humility are a rare thing in our industry. most of us are in mortal fear of the amateur and want them to hand back their cameras and get the fuck of our patch.

J said...

I think Blu Ray it's just ok. It's a very thin idea well directed.

Btw, am I the only one who detects a pattern in fallon's work? a.i. Purely visual stunts, not very deep ideas.

Don't get me wrong, I do love most of the work but I just wonder if some of it is being over rated because, you know, they're the guys with the, uh, famous balls.

Btw, the cats is something I definitely would talk with my mates, blu ray won't.

Anonymous said...

boring boring boring. and i bet giles revell is feeling a bit miffed (unless he directed it). he's had that lasers stuff in his book for ages now. oh well. call it an homage or something.

FishNChimps said...

Lasers are cool but let's face it, people want to see animals. Ref: over 1 million hits in one week on YouTube for a 5-second clip of a dramatic prairie dog.

Anonymous said...

How about combining the two so we'd have cats being tortured by lasers as they sceam "Ouch" and "Mercy" and "My fur is burning"?

dead insect said...

that lorenzo cat is the best thing I've seen in ages. thanks.

that blu ray ad doesn't have much of an idea really - seems like an ad that dramatises a slide out of corporate powerpoint.