When I was first starting out, I asked a senior creative - "Who's it better to be really in with - the Account Handlers or the Planners?"
His reply - "Traffic."
Of course you should make friends with everybody. But especially make friends with Traffic (or Progress, Workflow, Project Management, they go by different names in different agencies).
Here's 5 reasons why.
1. They know when the good briefs are coming up. If they like you, they might even give you one of them.
2. If you like gossip (and let's face it, you do) they can tell you who is about to be fired, who is bunking up with who, etc.
3. They know which juicy brief a senior team is struggling on. Prepare to jump in.
4. It will do you good to talk to someone who isn't called Tarquin or Julian for a change.
5. They can, if asked nicely, give you more of the most precious commodity of all. Time.
So make friends with Traffic. It's really worth it.
Tip No. 13 - Get Reference
Tip No. 12 - Don't Stop Too Soon
Tip No.11 - Be Very
Tip No.10 - Breaking Up
Tip No.9 - Working Well With Your Partner
Tip No.8 - Finding The Right Partner
Tip No.7 - How To Approach Agencies
Tip No.6 - Never-Seen-Before Footage
Tip No.5 - Dicketts' Finger
Tip No.4 - Two Blokes In The Pub
Tip No.3 - Play Family Fortunes
Tip No.2 - Should You Take A Bad Job?
Tip No.1 - Don't Overpolish